An estimated 80,000 people basked in the sunshine and unseasonably mild temperatures to watch the 50th annual Rockland County St. Patrick’s day parade. The warmth of the day was further enhanced by the bright smile of one newest princes of the Church. his eminence Cardinal Dolan, as he rode down the parade route to a thunderous ovation and then reviewed the passing marchers led by Grand Marshal Raymond Sheridan Jr..
It was a day long to be remembered, and in an age where increasingly we see attempts to defame and caricature our Faith and our Heritage a refreshing reminder what we as Irish Americans and Catholics are really about.
The following groups were cited and awarded trophies for exceptional performance during the parade:
• Rockland County Ancient Order of Hibernians Pipes and Drums won the Alice Donaghy Memorial for large pipes and drums.
• North Rockland High School won the William A. Dwyer Jr. Memorial for best large band.
• Newport, R.I., Pipes and Drums won the Connie and Breda O’Sullivan Memorial for best small band.
• St. Gregory Barbarigo School won the Timmy John O’Riordan Memorial for best large Catholic grade school.
• Orangetown Color Guard won the Mary Franklin Memorial for color guards.
• Albertus Magnus High School won the Bridget Teahan Kilgallen Memorial for best Rockland County Catholic High School.
• County Sligo won the ShopRite of Pearl River award for best-represented Irish county.
• St. Raymond’s Academy won the Greenan/Ecco Inc. award for best Catholic Youth Group.
• Rockland County Marine Corps League won the O’Malley’s Restaurant and Pub of Nyack award for best Marine Corps League unit.
• St. Paul’s School won the Murty’s Publick House award for best small Catholic grade school.
• North Rockland R.O.T.C. won the ShopRite of Stony Point award for best large uniformed group.
• Verlin School of Irish Dancing won the Noel Dolan Memorial award for dance units.
• ARC of Rockland won the Annie A. and James P. Russell Memorial award for outstanding citizens.
• The Knights of Columbus won the Luigi O’Grady’s Deli Catering award for best small uniformed group.